Saturday, October 25, 2008

 

Continue Story (I copy and paste from internet) - Chapter 4 - 'ALWAYS REMEMBER WHAT YOU CAN'T FORGET'

CHAPTER 4

As Though They Were Yesterday

Everyone in the Great Hall was staring at the small girl in the front of the room. She still had the hat on. Her face was as white as a ghost. Silently, shaking madly, she took the hat off, set it on the stool, and burst into tears as she made her way towards the Slytherin table.

Sirius stood up and clapped, the sound echoing strangely off the walls. Harry, sitting at the staff table, joined him. Liz stood next, glaring at the other Gryffindors, who promptly followed her. Then, to their surprise and slight amusement, the Slytherin table applauded their newest member. Soon the entire hall was on it’s feet, clapping for a girl, who, in Harry’s day, would have been ignored by everyone. Daniella gave Sirius a watery smile and sat down, looking unsure yet more determined than ever.

“That was amazing.” Liz whispered to Sirius when they sat down.

“I told her we’d be proud of her no matter what house she was put in. I meant it.” She smiled. He smiled back.

Professor McGonagall stood up at the center of the table. The hall went silent once more. Her speech was short, outlining the rules of Hogwarts for the first years and other assorted students who, in her words, “seem to have forgotten some of them.”

“...and finally, on this very special occasion in Hogwarts history, I would like to welcome our guest of honor, Mr. Harry Potter.” The hall exploded in cheers. Harry, smiling at the clapping Slytherin table, got to his feet.

“Hello, my dear friends, it is so wonderful to be back at Hogwarts at last. And under such happy circumstances as well. I remember my days here as though they were yesterday, and here I stand a generation later, to find this school as strong at it has ever been. One thousand years ago, we were all united. Now, I’m sure you all know the story, so I will not bore you with it here. But before you today, I see students close to being united once again. In my fifth year, the esteemed Sorting Hat gave a warning. It told us that if the school remained divided it would crumble from within. At the time, I scoffed it off like a foolish adolescent would. But that wise old hat was right. And not heeding his advice almost cost us this school. Now, years later, I see the importance of those words. And I see the progress that has been made. You are close, my dear students, very close to achieving something that was once thought impossible.

“Eighteen years ago, a wizard who was trying to take over the world was defeated. Yes, it is true that I administered the final blow, but I do not for a second take credit for his defeat. That credit goes to the hundreds of brave people that gave their lives to save those they loved. In the end, Voldemort was defeated by the power of love. If there is one thing you remember from my speech today, let it be this. Never underestimate the power of love. For it is strong enough to fix all the problems of the world.

“When I was a first year, a wise man named Albus Dumbledore said a few words I will never forget. I will repeat them for you now. Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Enjoy the feast.”

Professor McGonagall got up again. There were tears in her eyes.

“Thank you Harry. And now, the feast. Welcome, and welcome back!”

The tables filled with food before their eyes. The happy chatter that was so distinctively Hogwarts filled the hall once again. Liz glanced at Sirius. He smiled at her, an unmistakable twinkle in his eye. And for that moment, Liz was at complete peace with herself.

*************

She knew it was morning, but she didn’t want to gain consciousness. She had been having quite a nice dream. If only the person saying her name would shut up. And what was with all the shaking.

“Liz, for god’s sake, wake up!” She rolled over to look at her sister.

“What.”

“Come on, get dressed, Dad’s leaving and we’ve got to say good-bye.”

Grumbling, Liz got out of bed and groped around for her robes. First day back was always exciting but it seemed a lot better when you were fully awake. When she finally managed to get ready, she left for the common room to meet the others. She waved at the portrait of Sirius Black as she passed. There were a ton of portraits of fallen members of the Order of the Phoenix hanging around Hogwarts. They were planning on putting this particular one in the Transfiguration hallway where everyone could see, but her father requested that it was put in Gryffindor Tower.

The party entered the Entrance Hall to find what seemed like the entire school already assembled there. Harry was cheerfully answering questions about his days at Hogwarts. Liz coughed.

“Um, Dad, were here. Do you think we could go somewhere else?” she asked, observing a first year gaping at her father with his mouth slightly open. She really didn’t understand people.

“Oh, yes, of course. I’m sorry, you’ll have to excuse me.” The crowd groaned. The Potter’s, Weasley’s, Longbottom’s, and a Lupin followed him out onto the grounds. He said good-bye to all of them separately, making them promise to write. Liz’s father never ceased to amaze her. He was so busy, yet he always managed to write to all of them every week.

“Oh, here Liz, I brought you some more pictures of James.”

“Dad, I already have five of them hanging on my headboard.” she complained, taking them none the less.

“You can never have too many pictures.”

Harry walked towards Hogsmeade with a final “take care” and in the crack of apparation he was gone. For some reason Liz felt quite emotional. She didn’t know what was wrong with her, she rarely missed her parents. But right now she could feel the telltale prickle of tears behind her eyes.

“Hey, are you okay?” Sirius put a hand on her shoulder.

“Yeah, I don’t know why I’m getting upset.” she said, now wiping away rapidly falling tears. Everyone else had gone back to the school. Sirius pulled her close, and she felt a lot better at once. He muttered something into the top of her head.

“What?” she asked, her tears slowing.

“I said I don’t like seeing you cry.”

She looked up at him, no longer crying. “You can be very sweet sometimes, you know that.”

He grinned at her. “All part of my charm. Race you back.”

“What?”

“Race you back!” he yelled, already running towards the school.

“Oh no, you don’t.” she grinned, following him at a sprint.

They entered the Great Hall, panting slightly. “That wasn’t fair, you cheated!” Liz whined.

“Ah, but all’s fair in love, war, and antics we are much too old for, my dear.”

“Where’d you get that, ‘A Prat’s Guide to Life’?”

“Oh, mature.”

“I know I am.”

At that moment, a harassed looking Professor McGonagall came up to them, muttering about why she couldn’t understand why the head of houses couldn’t check schedules. She looked at the classes Liz and Sirius wanted to take, approved them, and moved on to the next group at the Hufflepuff table.

“Here, swap.” Liz took the schedule he was offering her and handed over her own.

“We have your Dad first.” she said. “And Neville right after.”

“All the same except one class. I have Care of Magical Creatures and you have Divination. Why do you bother taking that bloody subject? Even Uncle Harry says it’s a bunch of rubbish, and his life was planned out by a prophecy.”

“I just think it’s fascinating. You know, that some people can see the future. I agree that Trelawney has no idea what she’s doing but that doesn’t mean other people don’t.”

“Well, I still think it’s rubbish.”

“It gets me away from you for a little while.” He glared at her and she laughed.

“Hey guys.” Andrew, Ryan, and David had sat down across from them. David spoke again. “We just wanted to ask Sirius when Quiddich tryouts were.” Sirius was the newly appointed captain.

“I’m not sure yet, either this weekend or next. We really need a new seeker, I don’t want to use that reserve. Fancy trying out Liz?”

“I certainly do not! You know I can’t fly.”

“You mean won’t.” he corrected. “Both your parents played, I bet you could be really good if you tried.”

“Well, Quiddich is stupid, so it doesn’t matter.”

“It is not!”

They continued to bicker all the way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. They were still at it when their friends joined them ten minutes later. When the lesson started, they were still whispering insults toward each other.

“Elizabeth, Sirius, would you please pay attention.”

They looked around to see that everyone else had already paired up and were practicing whatever was assigned.

“Sorry, Uncle Rem-I mean Professor Lupin.”

“Yeah, sorry...er...sir.”

“It’s okay. Now we are practicing nonverbal spells today, so I guess you two will have to pair up. I can trust you to not hurt each other, right?” he asked, a little uncertainly.

“Of course.” Sirius said. Liz nodded.

They looked at the rest of the class. They were all purple in the face, trying desperately to make a spell work without uttering a word. Liz and Sirius grinned. Liz’s father had taught them both nonverbal spells in their forth year.

“Let’s give them a little show, shall we?” Sirius asked her mischievously.

“Yes, I think that would be in order.” They raised their wands. Liz mouthed three...two...one. She cast a jelly-legs jinx. He repelled it with a shield charm. She ducked, then sent a stunner. Fernunculus. Protego. They had the entire class watching them now. A little thing called Levicorpus. Then Liz administered the grand finale, one of her mother’s famous bat-bogey hexes. Sirius banged into a wall, fell down, and admitted defeat. She walked up to him and performed the counter-curse.

“Where did you two learn that?” Remus asked, looking astounded.

“My dad.” Liz said while helping Sirius to his feet.

He chuckled. “I should have known. Most impressive, I must say. Twenty points to Gryffindor, although I think I remember saying only disarmers and stunners.”

“We weren’t listening, remember?” Sirius asked innocently. The whole class, including the professor, burst into laughter.

“Nice hex.” he muttered to Liz. They had both been given the rest of the class off while everyone else continued to struggle with the spells.

“Thanks. You didn’t do so bad yourself, Mr. Lupin.”

“Yeah, but you beat me.

“All part of my charm.” she said grinning.

“You are honestly the most aggravating person I’ve ever met.”

“I know.”

“I think you might be annoying your poor friends to death. Or rather I’m annoying your poor friends to death.”

“Yeah, well what about you? They’ve been loyal to you, even if they are immature little gits. You should talk to them.”

“I did last night. They were complaining about me talking to you so I told them that you were my friend and I cared about you. I said that if they wanted to be friends with me they’d have to deal with you and not insult you while I’m around. They agreed. As long as they don’t break their promise we’re cool.”

“That’s good. Because I don’t want you ruining anything for me. I’m not worth that.”

“What if I think you are?”

“Don’t”

“Why do you do that? You always put yourself down, and I don’t like it.”

“Why do you stick up for me when I don’t deserve it? All I’ve ever been is nasty to you, but you gave me a chance. Why?”

“Because I know your more than that. And somewhere deep inside your heart you know that too. Your amazing and you don’t even know it.” She looked into his eyes for some hint of a joke. She found none.

And then the bell rang. They trudged off to Herbology, leaving Liz quietly walking beside Angenette and Marissa as they chatted happily about make-up, and boys, and other assorted things. For some reason she was in a foul mood. She thought about what Sirius had said. She didn’t really believe him even though she knew he was sincere when he said it. Then she thought about Daniella and how she was doing on her first day. She wished she didn’t have to be in Slytherin. It must be really hard on her. Even thought they had all assured her this morning that they weren’t angry in the least, she still seemed worried. Liz knew she was worried about what her parents would say. Liz knew they wouldn’t care, but then again she must be the first Weasley in at least a few hundred years to be put in that house. Liz would probably be worried too.

Thinking about Slytherins made her think about her father’s speech at the feast last night. He was right. All this inter-house rivalry was so stupid. They wasted all their time focusing on their differences instead of seeing how much they all had in common.

Her thoughts continued along these lines until she was positively seething.

She stared at the Thiplybluff Bush she was supposed to be pruning and began whacking one of the branches repeatedly with her clippers.

After a few moments of this she received a note in her lap. She looked up to see Sirius grinning at her. The note said, You show that bush who’s boss! Inclosed was a single chocolate frog.

She smiled.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?